And it’s a chance for you to have your say on the latest improvement proposals.
The consultation continues for 12 weeks.
The sports centre was first opened in 1938 to “promote health to untold numbers and prove to be one of the outstanding assets of a town”.
Now, Southampton City Council hope to transform it into something fit for the 21st century.
Here’s the main points in the proposal:
• New ‘hub’ offering changing facilities, gym, café and more
• New indoor tennis and netball courts
• Improvements for an integrated cycling offer
• New artificial grass football pitches
• Improvements to the hockey and cricket pitches
• Improvements to the snow sports centre including a new ski lodge
• Transformational use of the north of the site with a new ‘family zone’ providing an outdoor gym, skatepark, children’s play area and more
• New enlarged grandstand and clubhouse for events and officials at the athletics track
• Additional on-site car parking
The plan also proposes other enhancements to paths, seating, lighting and environmental features across the entire site.
Read the full story here
To take part in the consultation and to submit your feedback you can visit southampton.gov.uk/outdoorsportscentre or you can request hard copies of the documents at your local library.